So simple, yet so delicious! My kids call this GT’s (Grandma Terry) Potato Salad. My mother-in-law shared this recipe with me.
- For a creamy potato salad, use Yukon Gold. Make sure you peel them before cooking.
- The more eggs you add, the creamier the potato salad is. My rule of thumb is 1 egg per medium potato.
- You can add shredded carrots to add a different layer of flavor to this potato salad.
- Potato Salad is best when you let it sit in the fridge for a while so that all the flavors blend together. 4 hours for this dish will do the trick. You can also prepare this a day ahead.
- The vinegar cuts down on the starch.
- Potatoes are done when you can easily stick a fork through it without any resistance.
- I’m a Hellmann’s girl so no Miracle Whip for me :)
- 2 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (approximately 6 medium potatoes), peeled
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 4-6 hardboiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seeds
1. In a large stock pot combine potatoes, vinegar and enough water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain water and let potatoes cool before cutting in eighths.
2. Once potatoes have cooled down and cut, combine with celery, onion and eggs in a large bowl. Mix together. Add mayonnaise and celery seeds. Season with salt to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate for up to 4 hours before serving.