A family favorite in my house so I always make a lot more than 1 serving for each.
- I like to use chicken drumettes so that I can also serve it as an appetizer.
- Thoroughly clean and rinse the drumettes. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- You can find coconut milk in the International Foods section of grocery stores. Usually it is with the Mexican food ingredients.
- Lite soy sauce means less sodium. Don’t confuse it with Light soy sauce.
- This dish is best served with steamed rice.
Approximate prep and cook time: under 1 hour
Serves: up to 8 (as a main course with side dishes)
- 3 lbs chicken drumettes
- 1/4 cup cooking oil (vegetable or canola)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 4 thin slices of ginger root
- 1 onion, chopped (maybe some extra to garnish with)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup lite soy sauce
- 1 13-0z can of coconut milk
In a large dutch oven or deep skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Carefully add chicken to hot oil and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic, ginger root, onion and bay leaves. Slowly add vinegar and soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Slowly stir in coconut milk. Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and serve with your favorite side dishes while still warm. Garnish with chopped onion if desired.