It’s kinda those Chicken Wraps only different. This dish is surprisingly filling.
1. You can use ground chicken or beef if you don’t like pork.
2. If you find fish sauce to be too fishy, try squid sauce.
3. You can substitute corn starch for the rice flour if you don’t find any or even if you just don’t want to spend the money.
4. This is also good with just plain steamed rice.
Fills up to 6 lettuce wraps
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb ground pork
1 shallot, sliced
1 sprig lemongrass, diced (hard part only)
3 scallions diced
4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
3 Tbsp fish sauce
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp rice flour
6 Romaine lettuce stalks, cut most of the stem
Heat oil in a skillet. Add pork once oil is hot. Brown for 7 minutes and stir occasionally to separate large clumps of pork. Remove from heat and let pork cool. In a large bowl, combine shallot, lemongrass, scallions, lime juice, fish sauce and cilantro. Once they are combined, whisk in flour. Stir into cooked pork. Finish by serving into lettuce stalks.
Posted by The Home Cook on May 6, 2013
sausage slow cooked in tomato sauce and bell peppers
Very flavorful, easy and filling.
- Don’t use pre-cooked/smoked sausage
- 8-10 italian sausages
- 1 28-oz tomato sauce or your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 2 bell peppers, diced
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Slow cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Serve.
Posted by The Home Cook on April 9, 2013
slow cooked sausages in beer and onions
Recipe adapted from: Cook’s Country magazine, August-September 2012
Rich and robust flavor without having to fire up the grill.
- I like using an ale when slow cooking with beer. My favorite is Yuengling
- If you want a little kick with the sausage, use spicy Italian sausages
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rings
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsps packed light brown sugar
- 10 mild Italian sausage
- 2 12-oz beer
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 10 hoagie rolls
- In a large microwaveable bowl, combine onions, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cover and cook in microwave for 5 minutes. Toss then transfer to slow cooker. Place sausages on top.
- In a bowl, whisk together beer, mustard, caraway and fennel. Pour on sausage. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. When cooked, remove sausage and arrange on a platter. With a slotted spoon, remove onions from slow cooker and arrange around sausages as a garnish. Create sandwiches with hoagie rolls and top sausage with onions and sauerkraut, if desired.
Posted by The Home Cook on December 26, 2012