This is such an easy and quick dish that even a teenager can make it.
- When preparing, the ration between liquid and couscous is 1:1. You can use water but I prefer low sodium chicken broth just to give the pasta some flavor.
- The pasta can be prepared in the microwave. Just figure out how long it takes for water to boil and that’s pretty much how long you set your microwave. And remember use a microwaveable bowl then add liquid and pasta, cover and cook.
- Don’t limit yourself with just the ingredients on this recipe. Other ingredients to add or substitute are salmon, pine nuts, and asparagus tips. You can even use leftover rotisserie chicken just make sure you dice it.
- Each cup of uncooked couscous yields 2 cups cooked.
- This can be a make ahead dish. Just make sure it is stored in a tightly sealed container.
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb thawed and cooked salad shrimp (can be found in the frozen seafood section)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced
- 2 2.5oz can sliced olives, drained
- 4oz reduced fat crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 5 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Bring chicken broth to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in couscous then cover for 5 minutes. Transfer couscous in a large bowl and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together EVOO and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing on couscous and stir. Toss in shrimp, tomatoes, olives, feta cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.