sausage slow cooked in tomato sauce and bell peppers
Very flavorful, easy and filling.
- Don’t use pre-cooked/smoked sausage
- 8-10 italian sausages
- 1 28-oz tomato sauce or your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 2 bell peppers, diced
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Slow cook for 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low. Serve.
Posted by The Home Cook on April 9, 2013
slow cooked sausages in beer and onions
Recipe adapted from: Cook’s Country magazine, August-September 2012
Rich and robust flavor without having to fire up the grill.
- I like using an ale when slow cooking with beer. My favorite is Yuengling
- If you want a little kick with the sausage, use spicy Italian sausages
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rings
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsps packed light brown sugar
- 10 mild Italian sausage
- 2 12-oz beer
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 10 hoagie rolls
- In a large microwaveable bowl, combine onions, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cover and cook in microwave for 5 minutes. Toss then transfer to slow cooker. Place sausages on top.
- In a bowl, whisk together beer, mustard, caraway and fennel. Pour on sausage. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. When cooked, remove sausage and arrange on a platter. With a slotted spoon, remove onions from slow cooker and arrange around sausages as a garnish. Create sandwiches with hoagie rolls and top sausage with onions and sauerkraut, if desired.
Posted by The Home Cook on December 26, 2012
slow cooked flanken ribs cooked in sweet tea, soy sauce and other seasonings
A savory dish that everyone can enjoy…
1. Cooking for more than 6 hours on low will produce the “fall off the bone” ribs.
2. If it’s not readily available on the meat counter, ask the butcher for Flanken Style Ribs. I get mine at Publix.
3. Yes, it’s the same ribs used for Korean Kalbi (Galbi) Beef.
4. No sweet tea? Just add some sugar to regular unsweetened tea to sweeten to your liking.
- 8 Flanken Style Ribs (approximately 2.5 lbs), cut 1/4 inch thin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup sweet tea
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 slices ginger root
- 2 bay leaves
Rinse ribs and dry with paper towel. Arrange in slow cooker. Add onion on top. Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Remove bay leaves and ginger root before serving.
Posted by The Home Cook on September 9, 2012