Recipe adapted from: Cook’s Country magazine, August-September 2012
Rich and robust flavor without having to fire up the grill.
- I like using an ale when slow cooking with beer. My favorite is Yuengling
- If you want a little kick with the sausage, use spicy Italian sausages
- 2 large sweet onions, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rings
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsps packed light brown sugar
- 10 mild Italian sausage
- 2 12-oz beer
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 10 hoagie rolls
- In a large microwaveable bowl, combine onions, soy sauce and brown sugar. Cover and cook in microwave for 5 minutes. Toss then transfer to slow cooker. Place sausages on top.
- In a bowl, whisk together beer, mustard, caraway and fennel. Pour on sausage. Cook on low for 6-7 hours. When cooked, remove sausage and arrange on a platter. With a slotted spoon, remove onions from slow cooker and arrange around sausages as a garnish. Create sandwiches with hoagie rolls and top sausage with onions and sauerkraut, if desired.